Friday, November 25, 2011

What does it mean to ';redefine marriage out of existence';?

Can someone explain to me what is meant by that argument against homosexual marriage, that ';redefining'; marriage would be ';redefining it out of existence';? What does that mean? How do you redefine something out of existence? I'm not saying I feel one way or the other, it's just that I keep hearing people use that phrase when they talk about how gay marriage shouldn't be legal, but I have no idea what that means. Can someone explain?





Again, I'm just asking, not taking either side... so don't label me a liberal, conservative, Christian, athiest or whatever. Just curious.What does it mean to ';redefine marriage out of existence';?
The last thing in this world I ever want to do is saddle someone with a label. We do not fit into nice, neat little packages...and it is such a heated topic; I feel brave just coming here. The only thing I can say is that when you give love; when you receive love...then you honor all that is good in life...and God doesn't care if you have a piece of paper to do it...or where you came from...or who you are...for your loving spirit will speak above all other voices.





I am very understanding of many things, I see both sides of the issue...and I prefer to remain neutral...but what they mean is that it threatens and challenges everything we perceive as marriage...mainly a traditional (and hopefully, loving) union between a man and woman...and it often includes the words...';in the eyes of God';...and it did not include any other concept of marriage. I hope this answers your question.What does it mean to ';redefine marriage out of existence';?
';Redefining {something} out of existence'; means that you have changed the meaning of the word so drastically that the perceived original meaning of the word is lost.


The argument basically boils down to ';I can't defend my idea if that's what the word means. By agreeing to your interpretation of the word, then my position would be wrong.';

No comments:

Post a Comment